If someone gets married in India, then he has to register his marriage and for this he has to get a marriage certificate. A person of any religion is required to get a marriage certificate after marriage.
It is a legal certificate for which a married couple has to appear before the register and submit some necessary documents. But do you know what is the process of getting a marriage certificate and where it comes in handy?
How to get a certificate?
If you want to make a marriage certificate, you have been given the facility to fill the online form. Along with this, you will also have to upload some important documents. The process of registration has been made online for about 3 years. At the time of registration, you need to carry some necessary documents, which are as follows.
- The husband and wife will have to submit their birth certificate and Class X certificate.
- Aadhaar card and four passport size photographs.
- At least two photographs of the wedding and two photographs of the couple together.
- After the registration, the couple will get a date, both of them will have to appear before the registrar on that day.
Where does the certificate work?
- If you want to apply for a passport, you need a marriage certificate.
- If you want to open a joint account after marriage, you will also need a marriage certificate.
- If the couple wants to apply for a travel visa or permanent residence in any country, then the marriage certificate has to be shown.
A marriage certificate is also essential for getting a divorce.
- It is also required to file an FIR related to domestic matters against your husband or wife.
- You will also need a marriage certificate to take advantage of the ongoing schemes for widowed women.
- If the woman does not want to change her name, then she will not get benefits on government facilities without my certificate.
What to do if the marriage certificate has not been made for 5 years?
You should get a marriage certificate within 1 month of marriage. Even then, by paying an additional fee, you can get a marriage certificate for 5 years of marriage. But if you have not made a certificate in 5 years, then only the district registrar can give you the freedom to make a marriage certificate.